Saturday, August 18, 2007

When It Rains...It Pours

It's been one heck of a day!! At 8am, while in the middle of checking email and trying to post my ADS for the Grab Bags, I lost connection. For an hour I fiddled with settings, modem, router and NOTHING helped. So I decided to take off to the library to use their connection.

While Kat & I were getting ready, we kept hearing one of our cats screaming under the house. When she followed us from under my bedroom to the bathroom, I knew something was up, so I headed outside to the back porch. The moment I stepped outside, Joey climbed from under the porch and still continued to scream and meow at me...but the only thing I had my mind on was now trying to keep hubby's truck from drowning!! It was raining very hard!! (He'd not replaced the top, and had only covered it with a thin sheet of plastic before I took him to work!!)

I immediately rushed to the truck to remove the pools of rain collecting on the plastic, but just as I got there, the plastic ripped and one of the pools began to poor inside the truck. Kat ran out to help me...we must've looked like crazy nuts to folks passing by. LOL It was raining so hard that we could barely see what we were doing, but we finally managed to get the plastic rearranged and saved the truck's interior.

We were soaked to the bone by the time we made it to the back porch again. We stood for a moment debating on whether to go inside and soak the floors, or just stay outside for a little while...and that's when Joey came to me again and began screaming. This time she sounded desperate!! Kat and I began taking a head count of all the cats on the back porch and realized that one of the 4 week olds were missing. Kat went back out in the rain to search around the porch, while I search everywhere else. Our search came up empty...all the while Joey continued to scream, and paced by the steps. Then Kat looked down and found the baby...poor thing was huddled as close to the corner of the steps as possible and was getting pounded by even more rain that was falling off the roof of the porch!!

The moment Kat brought her on the porch, Joey got quiet and layed down by my feet. The little one was shivering, and soaking wet. Kat handed her to me while she ran indoors to get towels. The baby was shaking so bad, even after I began to dry her...and then she had a seizure. I'm not sure if it was from her being so cold, or from the stress of her being caught in the rain...but it nearly killed me that this little one was suffering so!!

For 10 full minutes I rubbed her with a towel, while holding her close to my chest to keep her warm. She seized twice more during this time. I wrapped her in a dry towel and she stopped shivering. I kept talking to her softly...and finally she started purring and went to sleep. (BIG SIGH OF RELIEF) I placed her by her Momma and she started to nurse while her Momma cleaned her.

I went back inside to change my clothes, and then Kat & I went to the library. BAD IDEA!! First, it was still storming like crazy, so changing into dry clothes was pointless. Second, they didn't have a connection either!! ARGH!! So we came back home to wait it out. At 1:30pm, after taking OS to work, I tried the connection again...still wasn't working. Around 3:30pm a friend called asking if I was able to connect...she had been without connection since 8am as well!! Finally at 4pm it came back on, but it was short lived for me as I had to go pick up hubby from work.

By 5:30pm I managed to check my email, get my Grab Bag ADS posted, and do a little research before the connection went out again at 7pm!! Here it is after midnight and I'm finally able to get back online again...I just hope it lasts long enough to get this posted...

No comments :