During the time that I was driving OS to work (in his car) this past year, hubby told OS that we were gonng have to replace the right front wheel bearings, motor mounts and keep a close check on all of the fluids. I had been taking my time driving on that wheel knowing the danger of what would happen if it seperated while in motion. Being an experienced driver, I know how to handle a front blow out, a complete tire and rim coming off, and a front end that separates due to the wheel bearings. (Trust me...neither is pretty, but I've lived through each of them.)
When OS got his Driver's License and I handed him the keys, I explained the severity of him driving like a maniac with that car in the current condition. He swore to me that he was taking it easy, and had even avoided using the interstate so he could keep the speed around 40-45mph. During the last 2 weeks, OS had even been purchasing all of the parts to get it fixed and hubby was planning on spending this entire weekend to do the repairs.
I thought it was all gonna be just fine until a few minutes ago when OS called while on his way to work. I answered the phone and he says, "Mom, there is something wrong with the car." Now keep in mind, my oldest son was an A+ student his entire life, knows anything and everything about electronics, and has many talents that were passed down from me...auto mechanics was just NOT one of them. (For those that don't know...my Daddy taught me how to work on cars at the age of 12.) So I ask OS where he was, and what the car was doing...where he explains what the car was NOT doing. It was in drive, but wouldn't go foward...It was in reverse, but wouldn't back up. He then tells me there was something spinning by the front wheel and he thinks something is broke.
I call hubby at work to let him know that OS is now walking home and is calling in to work to let them know that he won't be able to make it in today, explain to him what OS said. Hubby thought it had to do with the trans fluid, but I knew that I had checked it just a few days ago and it was fine. Just to satisfy hubby, I call OS to have him check the fluid, (had to explain to OS where to FIND the dip stick) only to have OS confirm what I already knew...it wasn't the trans fluid...it had to do with that wheel.
So now, OS is walking home to wait for hubby to get off of work so that they can go and tow the car home and try to repair it so that we won't be stranded without wheels.
It could be worse...
No comments :
Post a Comment