I spent a week looking at each piece of furniture in there. The dresser that I had painted and repurposed into a buffet. The open shelf hutch that held items we only used during holidays. The huge table and chairs that just sat and collected dust day in-day out. The piano that sat in the corner, not being played because it wasn't easily accessible. After a week, I chose a starting point and began the slow process of clearing out the room. It took a total of 3 days to move everything into other rooms or to my back porch. For the items that made it to the back porch, they either went to my SON and DIL's apartment or were picked up as a donation to a local thrift store. For the small items that made it to other rooms, I had to do some serious rearranging in cabinets and drawers to make it fit. The only big piece of furniture that I kept was my piano. Rearranging the den to make it fit was an entire day by itself because of how HUGE it is!! (So thankful that I don't have to move it that often)
With a clean slate, I moved in all of the toys, a rug, a loveseat, a chest that doubles as a coffee table, a rocking chair and ottoman, 2 side tables, 2 lamps and a small desk that had been repurposed from a small table and roll-top breadbox. It has taken nearly a month to get everything organized and in a place where there is a good flow through the room. That meant a LOT of rearranging, but has been worth it. The grands love the room, have plenty of space to play and the rest of my house is free from toys.
WHEN EVERYTHING WAS FIRST MOVED IN THE ROOM
BEFORE WE FOUND A BETTER FLOW...
OUR FAMILY TREE WALL
I PAINTED A TINY FAERIE DOOR
AT THE BASE OF THE TREE
THE BALL PIT AREA
WE USED A PLASTIC POOL
AND FOAM ALPHABET PIECES FOR
EXTRA CUSHIONING
THE RIDING AND READING AREAS
LOTS OF RIDING TOYS AND LOTS
OF BOOKS
THE BALL PIT, KITCHEN AND SITTING AREA
WITH BETTER FLOW THROUGH THE ROOM
AND EVERYTHING FINALLY HAVING A PROPER PLACE
There is still much left to do in the room. Eventually I want to install shelves for all of the books, add more storage for toys and stuffed animals and create a chalkboard and magnetic board to add on one of the walls. And even install an actual floor instead of the bare plywood. For now we are just making do with what we have and I am enjoying the laughter and happiness that is now filling that room.











No comments :
Post a Comment