Saturday, January 19, 2008

We Got Snow...And I Survived!!

It amazed me at how much the weatherman does not know until just a few minutes before the facts. Up until the moment I went to bed at 2am, they continuted to say that the rain would come in around 3am, turning to sleet, then around 5am turning over to snow. Well there was snow somewhere in Alabama around 5am...but it was well north of the Birmingham area...and even further north of our yard!! Not that I am complaining, but it made for a very teary-eyed Kat. Of all the things that she misses from our time living in Michigan...snow is at the top of the list.

When I woke hubby for work at 5:30am...we were getting a bit of rain mixed with a little snow, and the weatherman was saying that our viewing would be lucky to get a light dusting. This brought more tears to Kat...who then decided to go back to bed and mope for the rest of the day. At 8:20am, just as OS and I hopped in the car for me to take him to work, it began to snow HARD!! We had driven a block from the house when OS discovered he didn't have to go in until NOON, so we turned around and went back home. I woke Kat and told of about the snow, and she immediately got up, got dressed and headed outside to bask in all of the beautiful white fluffy stuff.

By this time, the weather man was telling us that the snow was now in our area but to only expect 1/2" -2" and that the snow would continue until NOON. Kat didn't care, she was in her element creating tons of snowballs, playing with her video camera, and watching the dogs and cats play in the snow with her. I tried to take some photos of the snow when it was coming down really hard...but I don't think they turned out that great. Anywhoos...11:20 came and we left to take OS to work.

By the time we dropped him off, stopped by the bank, grabbed Chinese for lunch...the snow had stopped and what was on the ground was beginning to melt. Kat and I looked at each other, looked at the melting snow, and rushed home in hopes that her snowballs were still there. We got home just in time to make SNOW ICE-CREAM and have a snowball fight. (Soon as I get my laptop, I'll upload the photos and video.)

It had been 15 years since the last time I had snow ice-cream...the taste and texture of it on my tongue reminding me of my childhood and the times when my own Mother would gather snow to make snow ice-cream for me and my brother. Today, for just a brief moment, I was that little girl again, standing by my Momma, and watching her make snow ice-cream. (Though it won't taste the same as when the snow is first gathered, w\ saved enough and placed in the freezer to make more snow ice-cream for when hubby and OS gets off work later this evening.)

It's now 2:30pm, and the yard shows no signs of ever having snow this morning...but that's OK, Kat got her wish to make snow angels and have a snowall fight, and I got to remember what it felt like to be a little girl again...just for a moment.

LOVE & HUGS
~Jay~

No comments :