Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One Of My Buried Treasures...


This past Friday's blog "BONE TIRED" went into GREAT DETAIL of doing laundry, cleaning bedding, closets & an entire car FILLED with thrift store donations due to cooties. LOL One of the things I came across while cleaning out my closet was this linen bed sheet with detailed stitching created by my Mamaw Stone. I'm guessing it to be at least 90 years old due to the initials found in the corner of the sheet... S.H. ...prior to her marriage.


In 1919, Mamaw married Papaw. She was 15 & he was 30. The linen bedsheet was one of several that she created before her wedding. (I only have 2 now...this one in mint condition...the other shows signs of moth holes, gas stains & some of the stitching has come loose.)


Every so often, I take it out, iron it, then fold it in a different direction to keep the creased areas from getting too worn. (I only wish my mother had done the same thing to the other one so the holes and stains could have been avoided...) I would like to put this one on display, like in my bedroom, but dare not for fear of it getting damaged...so it goes back in my closet, on a shelf and pressed between the folds of a quilt.

As for the damaged linen bedsheet... not sure what to do. I'm seriously thinking of cutting it into blocks to showcase the sitiching, and then maybe having it mounted in frames...but first I need to talk to someone who deals with antique/vintage fabrics & textiles to make sure it won't further damage the linen and stitching.

No comments :