I'm exhausted!!
OS's friend didn't arrive until 11:30am, so we got a bit of a late start. Dean had me drive since I knew roughly where we were going. 6 blocks from our destination I noticed a cop on our tail. I wasn't speeding so wasn't worried...but then she hit the lights. ARGH!! That was when it dawned on me...neither I nor Dean were wearing our seatbelts. (Go ahead and beat me now...in my rush and excitement I forgot to put it on. *sigh* Dean's side didn't work...)
Anywhoos, she slowly walked up and asked if I had anything against wearing seatbelts, to which I explained my rush, and excitement, and where we were going. Gave her all of the important info like ID's, insurance & registration. Ended up with 2 tickets for no seatbelts and Dean moving to back seat of pickup truck because though back seats are not required by law for passengers to wear one, Dean needed to be strapped down. *giggles*
I told Dean that since it was my responsibility to make sure he was strapped before we had left in the first place, that I would pay both tickets. (Besides, it was only $10 each...no biggie!!)
Finally found the place, only to discover that the wood was upstairs in a 2 story building, with no stairs, and a huge garage door. The man at the door told us that we had to climb in...I told the man that this fat woman didn't climb and we all laughed. Thankfully, there was a platform of sorts outside the door that I was able to park the truck next to so that Dean could go inside the building and Kat could stand on the platform. I remained on the ground...Dean would hand pieces to Kat and she would pass them to me so that I could stack all of the wood into the truck. Didn't take us long to gather our first load. I made sure everything was secure, tied something red on the longest pieces, and we hit the road.
Made it home in one piece, unloaded, and back for the second load. This time took a bit longer though...instead of leaving the tailgate closed like the first trip, I let it down so that we could take a larger load. Well...that ended up taking us twice as long to load too. By the time we were finished with that load it was nearing 4:30pm. Since the building would be closing at 5pm, we let them know that we would be back for the final load tomorrow afternoon. (Would have liked it to be tomorrow morning, but Dean has something to do in the morning and Kat has Driver's Ed at noon.)
Did have a bit of disappointment when I looked at the flooring for the first time...not all of it was 10ft strips (most being between 2-5ft) and NONE of it was as old or as wide as I was first led to believe. It IS real hardwood floors though...tongue and groove. Some in mint condition, some painted, some splintered and/or cracked, and all covered iwith nails and 3 inches of dirt and dust accumulated from the many years they have been in storage in that building!! (All of our hands were black and disgusting from handling it....yuck!!) At least with the 3 loads that I now own, it will be plenty to do my entire den.
BONUS POINTS...
During our last trip for today, I was talking with one of the guys about some old, very tall (nearly 5ft) windows that were leaning against the back wall outside of the building...I wanted to know what they were planning on doing with them. I then explained that I was needing some type of room divider and that these would be perfect. He asked how many I wanted, I said about 3 or 4, and he said TAKE THEM!! :D So now I have two projects!! (I'm gonna add casters to the bottom of each window, hinge each window together, frost each pane of glass and then place in Kat's room so that she will have a "changing area" and stop needing to use my room all of the time!! *giggles* Might even add hooks to one side so that she can hang hats, scarves and other items that won't fit in drawers.)
One last thing...in all of my excitement I forgot my camera, (stupid me) so wasn't able to take photos. But promise I'll take photos tomorrow of the stack we now have in the backyard, and what we will be bringing home.
*YAWNS*
I'm off to bed...
No comments :
Post a Comment